The Healthy Living Suffolk / Chronic Disease Self-Management Program is a six (6) week program that meets once (1) per week.
The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program is a workshop given two and a half hours, once a week, for six weeks. People with different chronic health problems attend together. Workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with chronic diseases themselves.
Subjects covered include:
1) techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
2) appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
3) appropriate use of medications
4) communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
6) decision making
7) how to evaluate new treatments.
Each participant in the workshop receives a copy of the companion book, “Living a Healthy Life With Chronic Conditions”, 4th Edition, and an audio relaxation CD, “Relaxation for Mind and Body”.
It is the process in which the program is taught that makes it effective. Classes are highly participative, where mutual support and success build the participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health and maintain active and fulfilling lives.
It is a FREE program for members and non-members alike.
The class meets once per week for two and one half hours (150 minutes) for six weeks.